Personal Injury Claims – Excess Uninsured Motorist Protection

It is an unfortunate reality that some drivers out there don’t have very much insurance on their vehicles as the mandatory minimum is only $200,000. You may be in an accident caused by an unidentified driver, or even worse, some drivers illegally drive without any insurance. If you get seriously injured as a result of a car accident with someone who has little to no insurance, you might not be able to completely recover all of your losses.

In these types of situations knowing what other types of insurance coverages that may be available to you is very important. The ICBC policy of insurance provides up to $1,000,000 in mandatory Underinsured Motorist Protection or UMP. Excess UMP coverage is available and costs very little. If you get hurt by someone with no insurance or only $200,000 in basic minimum insurance, you can apply for coverage under your UMP policy if your claim exceeds the amount of insurance held by the other driver, or statutory coverage for an unidentified or uninsured driver.

Claims involving Underinsured motorists, unidentified motorists, uninsured motorists, and UMP applications are complicated. Having an experienced lawyer who knows the process will help you focus on your recovery, instead of trying to navigate your way through the claim alone.

If you’ve been injured in an accident, call our office for a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers.

~ Kristopher Henderson

Share this